Wednesday 8 December 2010

John Lennon remembered

 Thirty years ago today...

source
This was the first album that I bought with my own money.
 It was Christmas 1980, and I was just shy of my 12th birthday.

I would play that record over and over and read the words - I can probably still recall most of the lyrics. I adored "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" and "Watching the Wheels".

I clearly remember finding out that John Lennon had died. It was a school morning and I ran downstairs and saw my mum standing in front of the sink with tea towel in hand - she was stopped still, listening to the radio in the kitchen. 
John Lennon had been shot by a deranged fan. 
That morning, the craziness of the other side of the world became closer and I remember feeling a slight unease that a person could do such a thing.

The rest of the day has been lost from memory, but often when I hear a Lennon song I have a flashback to that kitchen scene in my head...
thirty years ago today...


source

0 Comments and thoughts:

Post a Comment