Monday, 9 December 2013

Can something become too precious?

Christmas 1982 I was given a special gift. 
It was a silver welsh lovespoon on a chain that my grandmother gave to me.



I have worn this lovespoon for the last thirty one years...

I have just had a moment there - a moment where I doubted my maths! Thirty one years? Surely not?

Anyhow, as I said,  this lovespoon has been with me all this time. Throughout my school years tucked under my pale blue regulation blouse; through Uni days; moving away from home; moving back home; getting married; becoming a mother and eventually moving across the ocean to Australia.

I don't wear it everyday, but it is my default piece of jewellery.  As the years go by I love it more and more, and this is where the problem lies. My little silver lovespoon is becoming too precious that I am beginning to get a little wary of wearing it.

The other week I just had a feeling that I hadn't seen it for a while. I checked the couple of places where it should have been. Not there.

I searched high and low. I turned drawers inside out even though it was highly unlikely that the spoon was anywhere near there. I could feel a bubble of panic, maybe even fear that I dared to think that I had lost it.

I left it a few days and searched again. Nothing....

I re-lived the previous few weeks. Tried to remember the clothes that I had worn. I recalled how I almost lost it once when I was olive picking a few years ago when the chain broke but the lovespoon stayed safe and tucked itself into my clothing.

Still nothing.

I even scrolled through some photos and tried to piece together when I wore it. Major panic when I saw a recent one of Sibs and I in Auckland with the lovespoon around my neck....!

I tried to convince myself that it would just show up. (I do denial pretty well)

Last week I was packing to go away for a few days and as I was throwing some toiletries into a bag I spotted a small black velvet drawstring pouch. I tentatively peered inside and there was my little silver lovespoon. It had made it back from Auckland.

So I wore it when I went away again last week and then the same thing happened. I couldn't find it a few days later. Not in the little black pouch, not in the other obvious places.

I rang the hotel - nothing.

Maybe my luck was running out?

This morning I found it tucked in the corner of the jewellery roll that I took away with me. The same jewellery  roll that I looked through - twice.
I actually whooped out loud!

Is this just a sign of a busy life? Of having a brain that it crammed too full of end of year lists and chores that I can't think straight?

Or have these near misses been a sign that I should place this necklace away in a drawer, lock it and hide the key??

I have thought a bit about it this evening. I have thought about how much I love my silver lovespoon necklace and how it often makes me think of my grandmother.

I thought about how devastated I would be if I did ever lose it.
But the strongest feeling came when I really considered not wearing it again.
It felt like I was about to lock a bit of me away.
Dramatic?
Maybe....

So I'm going to continue to take great pleasure in wearing it and in enjoying the link it gives me to my past. It's a bit like deciding to live the moments. There's no point wondering too much about the 'what ifs' in life - just make the most of it whilst you have it.

Wish me luck in keeping it safe for the next thirty years and beyond!



1 Comments and thoughts:

  1. Trekking in Nepal and tours operative company Acute Trek Pvt. Ltd. from Nepal takes you that further way to guarantee you has an unforgettable adventure that you have been dream of. Benefit, of course there is the Acute Trek part of choice. We have your choose Nepal Trekking in Treks Himalaya for 3 days or 30 or more days it depending of your timetable, sleep under lodges or tent. Trekking in Himalaya is an attempt to encourage Nepal to the exterior world while striving to defend an aged tradition as well as conserve the surroundings for generation to come for Hiking in Nepal. Adventure Trekking in Nepal Trekking in Himalaya Everest Base Camp Trek Nepal Tours Hiking in Nepal Trek in Nepal Nepal Holiday Annapurna Trekking Everest Trekking Langtang Trekking Everest Base Camp Trek Annapurna Base Camp Trek Upper Mustang Trekking Helicopter Tour in Nepal Nepal Helicopter Tour Kathmandu Pokhra Tour Peak Climbing in Nepal Nepal Peak Climbing Nepal Peak Climbing Tea House Trek in Nepal High Pass Trekking in Nepal Everest Helicopter Trekking Island Peak Climbing Holiday Hiking Nepal Hiking Nepal Hiking Holiday Hiking Tours in Nepal Holiday Hiking Tours

    ReplyDelete